University of California
The California Garden Web
- Still in need of more information? Advice to Grow By - Ask Us HERE!
Planning your vegetable garden
- What are the sunlight, soil and space requirements for a backyard vegetable garden?
- How do I plan a garden?
- Can I use raised beds to grow vegetables?
- What should I plant in my vegetable garden?
Preparing for planting
- How should I prepare my garden for planting?
- When should I plant my garden?
- How do I start seeds indoors?
- With what and how do I fertilize my home vegetable garden?
- Can I use manures to fertilize my garden?
- What if I want to use commercial fertilizers?
Caring for your vegetable crops
- What is the best spacing for my vegetables?
- How can I trellis or support climbing vegetables?
- How do I water my vegetable garden?
- Can I use compost in my vegetable garden?
- Can crop rotation reduce pest problems?
- What is the best way to manage weeds in my garden?
- How do I manage pests & diseases in my garden? - UCIPM
How do I grow ...?
- Melons, cantaloupes
- Melons, mixed
- Melons, watermelon
- Peppers, bell
- Peppers, chili
Harvesting & Storing
Our gratitude to Pam Geisel (Director, UC Statewide Master Gardener Program) for providing content for the vegetables section of the California Gardening web site.
Vegetable gardening photos courtesy of: Sam Foushee, Alameda Co. Master Gardener; Marcy Hackman, San Joaquin Co. Master Gardenr Coordinator; Sandy Metzger, Sonoma Co. Master Gardener ~ Thank you!